Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Capture the Castle

 I Capture the Castle is a wonderful film adaptation of a novel by Dodie Smith (that I have not read, but I intend to listen to the audio book on my road trip to Philadelphia next). Amazingly enough, Dodie Smith is also the writer of 101 Dalmations! It takes place in 1930s England and is told from the perspective of a teenage girl named Cassadra (played by Romola Garai). Now Miss Romola really gets all the best roles in all of my favourite period pieces, except for Kiera Knightley (whose acting I dislike and whose clothes I love).
 Anyway, in I Capture the Castle Cassadra and her family live in a run down Castle and rely on the support of their father, who is an author that hasn't been published in twelve years. They are utterly dirt poor, but everything around them is just beautiful. The Castle is so magical, it reminds me of when I was a girl and my mother took me to all of her friends houses who were starving artists. In particular, my mothers friend Jennifer had this apartment that felt unlike anything I've seen since, with white walls, white table clothes, white blankets, and brightly coloured painted canvases everywhere. In my own house my mother was always able to make things beautiful, even though we were living modestly. The idea of being able to make something drab into art is a very nice one isn't it. I forget sometimes that pretty things don't always have to be expensive (although sometimes they just do!).
I loved this movie not only because it was stunning and I would wear every one of Cassandra's outfits (I actually bought a vintage pattern in hopes of making myself one),  but also because I found it a very funny. Cassandra is so confused about her own feelings towards boys and she does things that she doesn't understand, and she makes mistakes, and hurts peoples feelings, and it's just like how I felt when I was a teenager. It's such a funny and confusing time in everyone's life, and Cassandra encapsulates that confused, hormonal wreck of a teenager perfectly. She is also just a very witty and candid narrator, you will fall in love with her.
 This movie just seems to have captured what my own imagined life is, right down to the beautiful blue bells that are scattered all around Toronto at the moment.

17 comments:

  1. I found a copy of the book at my mom's house if you'd like to read it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I must watch this movie, sounds great!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm always on the lookout for new movies to watch, as i seem to be absolutely hopeless at finding decent ones on my own. this will definitely be on my list to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please do watch it! I'm not particularly good at picking movies so I basically just watch bbc period pieces : ) it's worked out well so far.

    and Larissa, please save the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely screen shots! I think I saw this on Netflix and just scrolled past it, but will definitely watch!
    Christine
    http://un-stitched.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. the stills from this film are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you love the film stills, you'll die when you watch the movie : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this film too :) and I read the book in an airport. It was a lovely and calm read, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very enchanting, like you...
    also, one of my favorite musicians and you share a name.
    http://www.myspace.com/caitlinrosesongs

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i love this movie and the book is even better!!!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read the novel, but after seeing these I think I should see the film too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen it, but goodness the fashion looks amazing! I love Dodie Smith - I used to be obsessed with 'The Starlight Barking' when I was young.

    x
    www.lostinthehaze.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, I'll have to read that one, I have never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this book so I will definitely track down the film. The still shots you've chosen really capture the mood perfectly. I have really enjoyed your last two posts too. The Red Shoes - definitely one of my all time favorite films. And the twirling post - I feel dizzy but it looks so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favourite books and films, everything about it is enchanting! When I first read it I dreamt that I too could live in a dilapidated old castle.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen the movie, but I loved the book! And the styling does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so nice to find your blog! I love this movie a whole lot and have been meaning to take my own favorite captures of it.

    ReplyDelete