Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

I bought this lovely book for my mother on mothers day this year and I just wanted to share with you some of the illustrations. The book is Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam which is a selection of Persian poems translated by Edward Fitzgerald. Omar Khayyam (1048–1131), who was a poet, astronomer, and mathematician, wrote many of the poems in this collection. This particular publication, which is from 1952, is illustrated by Edmund Dulac (1882-1953) but I think the illustrations might be from earlier. I just can't say enough how much I love illustrations from this time period. We're talking about Arthur Rackham, Kay Nielsen, and Walter Crane, all the greats!
Francine and I are also working on our next film, so hopefully that will be ready for next week. I've started introducing myself as a movie maker/actress/costume designer, so hopefully these films become wildly popular. Okay, so even if they don't they still give me an excuse to buy more clothes. The only problem is that it's pretty difficult to come up with six different outfits for them. Luckily I've just been asking all of my friends to donate clothing to the videos fund.
 
Oh, and since I really like answering all your lovely comments, and I didn't really know how to in a way that you would actually be able to read them I've decided to take a note from Anabela's lovely blog, Fieldguided. Starting now I will answer your comments on the bottom of the following post. 


Okay here goes with the replies: 
Elyse: Thank you so much, I always strive to get that grainy look with everything that I do : )

BaronessVonVintage: I am always happy to show you my favourite spots in Toronto, this one is Riverdale Farm!

Roz: I'm not sure what you'll find when you google Canada Day, it's quite a modest celebration, but that's how we are here.

Bri: Thank you! I'm always happy to look like a doll (or like my doll that I got from my birthday)

Jazzy E: That is very sweet, thank you!

Hila: You are the least ignorant person I know! and I don't really know you ; )

danniekate: Oh thank you, I always think that clothes are nothing without an atmosphere
Hannah: I'm glad that you are more neglectful of your diana than I am, you're making me look good. 

Amy: It's nice to meet you too. Oh dear, I'm glad you like the poses, I definitely have a difficult time with them. I just take so many photos that some of them usually turn out.

5 comments:

  1. I've given you a blog award :)
    http://vintageinamodernworld.blogspot.com/2011/07/blog-award-and-maybe-some-hats.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. I love the way everything is outlined, for some reason this style of illustration always catches my eye. Don't even get me started on the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! these illustrations are extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, rubainat of omar khayyam is nice book. I must bring it. The image shows itself how good is this book.

    Debts

    ReplyDelete